This is a Salad based on a favourite I get from one of my regular Deli haunts, it’s perfect for a Summer lunch when you want something cool but still filling. Or it could be served as a Side Salad (with roasted veg or stirfried Tofu)…Don’t be afraid of the the long list of ingredients – i tend to add as many vegetables as i can to make it a hearty, nutritious meal. As long as you put in some seeds or nuts for crunch, and some dried cranberries for a bit of sweetness, then you can just add any salad vegetables you prefer – the fresh herbs are a tasty addition, though. I didn’t have any ripe Avo’s on hand, but if you have one then I would definately recommend adding it for some creaminess!
1 1/2 cups Wild Rice (I use Lundberg Wild Blend)
3 cups Water
1/2 cup Brown Mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup Baby Asparagus, cut into chunks
1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Red Pepper, chopped
1/2 Yellow Pepper, chopped
handful of Spinach, roughly chopped
1/2 Cucumber, diced
2 Tblsp. Sundried Tomatoes, chopped
2 Tblsp. Olives, chopped
sprinkle of Sunflower Seeds
handful of Dried Cranberries, chopped
2 Tblsp. Parsley, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 – 3 leaves Basil, chopped
2 Tblsp. Redwine Vinegar
1 Tblsp. Balsamic Vinegar
2 -3 Tblsp. Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper (as desired)
– Bring Wild Rice and Water to a boil and follow cooking instructions for the Rice (usually cook 50 mins. covered). Prepare the rest of the ingredients while Rice is cooking.
– Soak Red Onion strips in boiling water to soften up and make the flavour less potent.
– Cook Asparagus in a little bit of water in a pan on stove for about 1 min. until bright green, then drain and blast with cold water.
– Fry mushrooms in a little oil, until they release all their liquid, but are still firm.
– For the dressing, place Garlic, Vinegars, Oil, Basil, Salt & Pepper in a jar and shake ’till combined. Set aside.
– Place cooked Rice in a colander, and rinse with cold water until cooled. Drain, and pour into a large Salad bowl.
– Add the rest of the ingredients, drizzle dressing over and mix everything together with salad servers until combined.
*Should make 4 servings, but you might not want to share….