I’ve been craving the Pad Thai we had on our holiday so badly, I had to try and re-create it! The meat-loving Boyfriend said he would be happy to eat this for dinner every day, so that must be a good sign…After many ruined attempts with a sticky noodle mess, we have realised that the secret to stir-fried Noodles is to dunk them in ice water once cooked, and then let them dry before adding to your veg. The key ingredients to Pad Thai are Rice Noodles, Bean Sprouts & Tomato Paste. The rest depends on the Chef…
Ingredients: (a modified version of the recipe in Vegan with a Vengeance : Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock)
1 pack Rice Noodles (flat ones would be more authentic, but i only had round…)
1/2 Red Onion, sliced
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 small Red Chilli, minced
a few Mushrooms, sliced
1 cup Carrot, julienned
bunch of Mange Tout, halved
handful Bean Sprouts, halved
1/2 cup Smoked Tofu, diced
Spring Onion, cut same length as Bean Sprouts
1 Tblsp. fresh Coriander, chopped
chopped Peanuts (optional)
3 Tblsp. Soy Sauce
2 Tblsp. Lime Juice, fresh
1 Tblsp. Tomato Paste
dash of Agave Syrup/sugar
hot sauce (if desired)
– Cook the Noodles according to package directions. Soak in ice water, and leave to drain.
– Heat oil in Wok and saute Tofu cubes until beginning to brown. Remove, and place on paper towel to absorb excess moisture.
– Heat oil and add Onion, fry until beginning to soften. Add Mushrooms & Garlic and saute about a minute more, then add Mange Tout, Carrots & Chilli and stir-fry 30 sec or so. Add Tofu, then pour in the sauce and stir-fry. Slowly add in the noodles, mixing gently. Then add Bean Sprouts & Spring Onion, another 30 sec.
– Sprinkle with Coriander and serve with chopped nuts & lime wedges.
(about 4 servings)
* The trick is to make it in batches so the noodles and veg can mix properly with the sauce, and you won’t get a clumpy mess…