Since I can remember, Tiramisu has always been my all-time favourite dessert (apart from Ice cream, but that’s a whole other story!). I would order it whenever I was at a coffee shop with my Mum, I would beg for it to be made when there was a big occasion, and I would prepare it myself to impress my sweetheart…But since going Vegan I have hesitated to attempt making this wonderful dessert, as I just had a feeling it would never compare to the real deal. Well, I was wrong – this Tiramisu was everything I was hoping for, and it brought me back to the days when I used to eat trays of this stuff! It is based on the one from The Urban Vegan: 250 Simple, Sumptuous Recipes from Street Cart Favorites to Haute Cuisine– I just used another recipe for the sponge cake, as I wanted a Wheat-free version, but once it’s soaked in all that Coffee & Rum you can’t even tell. The overall texture is perfect, the only change I have made is to add more alcohol – it just wasn’t as boozy as I like mine to be! This is pure indulgence…
Sponge Cake (recipe from Simple Treats: A Wheat-Free, Dairy-Free Guide to Scrumptious Baked Goods):
1/4 cup Canola Oil
2 Tblsp. Maple Syrup
1 cup Soymilk
1 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar (or white vinegar)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Brown Sugar OR 1/4 tsp. Stevia
1 3/4 cups Barley Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
– Preheat oven 180C/ 350F, and oil a square brownie pan.
– Mix Oil, Syrup, Soymilk, Vinegar & Vanilla in a small bowl.
– In a seperate bowl, sift Sugar/stevia, Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until well incorporated.
– Pour into pan and bake about 30 mins. or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Let cool 10 mins., remove from pan and let cool completely. Cut horizontally & then into ‘fingers’ (long, thin rectangles).
1 cup of Soya Too Soy Whip (or any other dairy-free whipping cream you like to use)
1 container Vegan Cream Cheese (80z) – I use Tofutti
5 Tblsp. Brandy, Rum, or Kahlua
1/2 cup Sugar OR 1/2 tsp. Stevia
1 cup freshly brewed Espresso/strong Coffee
2 Tblsp. good Cocoa powder
– Whip up Cream according to package directions.
– In a large bowl or food proccessor, whip together Cream Cheese, 1 1/2 Tblsp. Liquor, and Sugar/Stevia until smooth. Fold in Cream.
– Have ready a glass rectangular dish. Mix remaining 3 1/2 Tblsp. Liquor with Coffee. Dip each cake ‘finger’ into the coffee mixture – should be soaked, but not dripping. Lay each piece into the dish, covering the the bottom.
– Using a spatula, cover the Sponge with the Cream filling, and smooth out. Sift the top with Cocoa Powder and allow to set in the fridge for atleast 6 hours, or overnight, before serving.
*Tastes even better the next day!