With the excitement of my Thailand trip coming up, i got into a bit of a coconut frenzy! The Ice Cream is meant to be Vanilla-Bean flavoured, from the book Lick It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love, but as the recipe uses Coconut Milk there is a lovely undertone of Coconut that comes through – and it also makes it deliciously creamy! The cluster idea came from a strong craving for my favourite little Carob-coconut bombs that I scoff on when I’m in South Africa. These didn’t come out quite the same, but were tasty none the less. Just be careful not to burn the Carob Chocolate, as it can get a strange flavour & gummy texture. Who would have though Vegan Ice cream could be this decadent?! I will definately be making this recipe regularly…If you don’t have an Ice cream machine, i recommend you invest in one asap – it’s my favourite Kitchen gadget!
1 1/2 cups Soymilk
1 Vanilla Bean
1 can Coconut Milk
1/2 cup Agave Nectar (or Unbleached Sugar)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
– Cut Vanilla Bean pod in half and scrape seeds into Soymilk, along with the pod. Bring to a boil in saucepan, then reduce heat and simmer 15mins. Remove from heat and let steep for 5 mins.
– Remove vanilla pod, along with any skin that may have formed. Whisk in Coconut Milk, Agave/Sugar, and Extract and place in the fridge in a glass jug/bowl for atleast 8 hours or overnight to chill.
– Pour into Ice cream maker and follow instructions according to your machine. Once frozen, place in freezer to harden up a bit more if desired (depending on your preference of texture).
1 cup Carob Chips
1 Tblsp. Soymilk
1 cup Coconut, dessicated
1 Tblsp. Agave/Maple Syrup
– Melt Chocolate Chips with Soymilk in a double boiler over hot water, stirring constantly. Do not burn.
– Once melted, fold in Agave & Coconut. Using a Tablespoon scoop mixture into small clusters, and place on a lined tray.
– Freeze for 30 mins. and then place in refrigerator until ready to eat.
Easy Chocolate Sauce:
1/2 cup Cocoa
1/2 cup Maple Syrup
1 – 1 1/2 Tblsp. Soymilk
1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
– Whisk together. If you like your sauce warm like me, then heat on low.
* How delicious is this Ice cream…?!