Every now and then, if I start to feel groggy, tired & bloated from a bit of neglect, I have a Raw Juice Day (or 2, or 3…) to revitalise myself. [Check out my Veggie Juice post for an idea of what I like to juice when I do a cleanse]. Usually I have no problem with drinking only liquids for the day, especially when it’s as hot as it has been lately…But in the evenings I start to crave something a bit more substantial – something that can be had on a fork or spoon, not through a straw! Enter the Gazpacho: perfect for a Raw Juice Day as half of it is blended, aiding digestion, and it doesn’t get heated so it’s full of raw energizing goodness. This is also great when you feel like something satisfying, but not too heavy due to the Summer heat, and it can be whipped up in minutes.
Ingredients: (another great recipe from You Won’t Believe It’s Vegan!: 200 Recipes for Simple and Delicious Animal-Free Cuisine)
5 large fresh Tomatoes, cored and diced
1 medium Red Onion, peeled and finely diced
1-2 Cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and diced finely
1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and diced finely
Juice of 2 Lemons (about 6 Tblsp.)
Juice of 2 small Limes (about 2 Tblsp.)
1/4 cup Tamari/Braggs Liquid Aminos
2 Tblsp. Hot Sauce or 1 small Chilli finely chopped
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt (taste soup first & then add if needed)
1/2 ripe Avocado, diced
handful each of finely chopped, fresh Cilantro, Basil and Parsley
– Combine diced Tomatoes, Onion, Cucumbers, and Bell Peppers in a large bowl.
– Add the Lemon & Lime Juice, Tamari, Hot Sauce/Chilli, and Salt (if needed).
– Put about half (or more) of the mixture into a Blender and blend for 30 seconds until finely textured.
– Combine blended mixture with diced mixture, stir in Avocado and fresh Cilantro, Basil & Parsley.
– Cover and refrigerate until chilled, or if already cold – serve.
*Make sure to cut everything into very small pieces…