I’ve been meaning to make these for a while – ever since my boyfriend, Mau, brought me back some Meatless Taco Filling from the States! They are equally delicious with just Black Beans in the filling if you prefer, and could be topped with grated, dairy-free Cheese before popping in the oven (I didn’t have any on hand). Make sure you serve these with Guacamole, Salsa & Sour Cream (Tofutti is the bomb), or they just won’t be the same…I ♥ Mexican Food!
Ingredients: (recipe adapted from Two Blue Lemons)
6 Corn Tortillas
1 Onion, minced and halved
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1/4 cup Mushrooms, sliced
1 can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 – 1 cup Soy mince (crumbled Veggie Burgers would work just as well)
1/4 Red Bellpepper, chopped
1/4 Yellow Bellpepper, chopped
1 Tomato, chopped
Juice of 1/2 Lemon/Lime
1 small, red Chilli, minced
1 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Origano
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 can crushed Tomatoes (I used Roasted)
sprinkle of Cayenne powder
extra Cumin to spice Tomato Sauce
grated dairy-free Cheese (optional)
– Preheat Oven to 180C/350F, and grease a baking dish.
– Heat oil in a Saucepan, add half the Onions and fry until beginning to brown. Add Garlic and Mushrooms, and cook until Mushrooms have released moisture. Add Soy mince and Beans, along with Cumin, Origano and Paprika, and saute 2-4 minutes. Squeeze in Lemon Juice, and add Tomatoes, Bell Peppers & Chilli. Lower heat, and allow to simmer around 10 mins.
– Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat a little oil and fry the other half of the Onions until beginning to brown. Add the tin of Tomatoes and stir in Cumin & Cayenne. Heat on low, until bean mixture is ready.
– Dip Tortillas one by one in Tomato Sauce, moving them around to coat them with the Sauce until they are nice and soft. Once soft, on a separate plate, fill Tortilla with spoonful of Bean mixture (top with grated Cheese if you wish), roll up and put seamside down in the baking dish. Repeat for the rest of the Tortillas. Pour rest of Sauce over the Enchiladas to cover (sprinkle with Cheese, if using).
– Bake 30 mins. When ready to serve, top individually with Guacamole, Salsa & Sour ‘Cream’.