A friend of mine adores these cupcakes, and recently before she left town she begged me to make them for her again… so i invited the girls over for tea, and a bit of indulgence! The texture is moist, light & fluffy, with delicious subtle tones of Almond, and they can be whipped up in just a few minutes. They remind me of my favourite Almond Tarts i used to devour when i was young, from The Nutshell in Fish Hoek (sadly they closed, but now i can make them myself & they’re Vegan!). The original recipe comes from the amazing book Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World 75 Dairy-free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule, but i’ve modified it slightly by emitting the Apricot preserves and topping the cupcakes with a simple almond-flavoured Icing…Anyone who loves Marzipan will go crazy for these little pieces of Heaven!
Ingredients: (Makes 12 cupcakes – i usually halve the recipe as my oven is too small!)
1/3 cup Canola Oil
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Soy Yoghurt
2/3 cup Soy/Almond milk
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 tsp. Almond Extract
1 cup + 2Tblsp. All-Purpose Flour (I use half Whole-wheat, half Unbleached White)
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 cup Almond Meal
– Preheat oven 350F/180C, and line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
– In large bowl whisk together Oil, Sugar, Yoghurt, Milk & Extracts.
– Sift in Flour, Baking Powder & Salt, and mix just until the batter is smooth. Add in Almond Meal and mix to combine.
– Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full.
– Bake 24-26mins, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or the tops spring back when pressed.
– Transfer to a cooling rack, and take cupcakes out of muffin pan after 10 mins to cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
1 1/2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer (Equivalent of one Egg)
2 Tblsp. (30ml) Water
1 tsp. Almond Extract
1 1/2 cups (150g) Icing Sugar, sifted
– Beat Egg Replacer with Water on high with an electric mixer, or food processor, until thick and foamy (about 2mins.)
– Add Almond Extract and beat to combine.
– Slowly add sifted Sugar until mixture is smooth. (Add more Water or Sugar, if consistency is not as you would like it to be)
– Frost cupcakes once cool, and allow to set in fridge +- 20mins.
*This can be made without the Egg Replacer too, but the frosting just wont set as much. Make sure to keep it quite thick, so it doesnt run off the cupcakes.
**These look good decorated with Almond flakes…