It’s been a while since my last entry, but I’m slowly recovering from post-holiday blues…That doesn’t stop me from reminiscing though – which is exactly what this Carrot Cake is about! My mum’s friend and I had planned to make this to keep us going on our long car ride to Croatia (7 hours!), but it never lasted that long – we ended up having to bake a replacement at the last minute. Turns out my Dad has a strict ‘No eating in the car’ policy, so the Carrot Loaf came all the way to Croatia with us and ended up a blessing amongst the lack of veggie food…My family agreed that this was the best Carrot Cake they have ever had, and couldn’t believe it was made without Eggs or Butter. This recipe is based on one from Ricki Heller’s book: Sweet Freedom: Desserts You’ll Love without Wheat, Eggs, Dairy or Refined Sugar, which I absolutely LOVE as all the recipes are without refined sugar or wheat – my kind of Dessert book! The combination of Carrot, Cinnamon, Lemon & Coconut is heavenly, and the Lemon Glaze on top (suggested by my Dad’s girlfriend) adds just the right amount of tartness…
1 1/2 cups finely grated Carrot, unpacked
1 Tblsp. ground Flax Seeds
1/4 cup Agave Syrup
1/4 cup Maple Syrup (or 1/2 cup of Syrup of choice)
3/4 cup Soy Milk
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tblsp. grated Lemon Zest, fresh
1 1/2 cups Whole Spelt Flour
2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded Coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F, and spray a 8″ loaf pan or 9″ square pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine Carrots, Flax Seeds, Agave, Maple Syrup, Soy Milk, Oil, Vanilla, Vinegar and Lemon Zest. Set aside for atleast 2 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together Flour, Cinnamon, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt. Add Coconut, and stir to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir just to combine. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35- 45 minutes (the loaf pan takes longer than a square pan), or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely until removing from pan, and covering with Lemon Glaze.
For the Lemon Glaze:
1 cup sifted Icing Sugar
juice of 1 Lemon (add half first, then more if needed)
- Slowly add Lemon Juice to Icing Sugar until the right consistency is achieved. Pour over Carrot Loaf and allow to set.
*Warning: Will make a mess if eaten in the car…
PS: This would be delicious with the inclusion of Nuts, too!